Saturday, November 21, 2009

New York

I left Virginia early on Friday morning with no more rain and it was mostly not a difficult drive at all. The only part of the DC beltway that I used was going north and the time I was on it, the traffic was light. My driving dilemma happened when I got to Staten Island and had to get off the parkway to get cash! The tolls had depleted my cash and so I stopped in Target, bought catfood, and got some cash back so I could go on, but I got confused (even with the GPS) and wound up on streets before getting to the Verrazano Bridge.
Then, it got worse when I did not follow my instincts or the GPS and I drove though many Brooklyn and Queens streets (20 miles took over an hour) which I had never driven on in my life even when I lived here!
I finally arrived just before 4pm and got everything inside that I needed and since I found I could get a ride to the dinner, I had some wine and tried to relax. I left here at 6:30 and discovered the dinner had 90 people attending due to so many families being involved since there are several divorces and remarriages involved. It was fun to see family and meet a few cousins I didn't know about.
I had to take a taxi back to the hotel because the driver took off early even though I told them I would be calling for a ride back. Anyway, with the wine I drank, it was certainly safer than driving. Tonight, for the wedding, I will drive and not drink (not more than one) which I have done before in situations where I will be driving.
Tomorrow, we will head back to Virginia for one night before heading south to Columbia, SC.

No comments: