Sunday, May 16, 2010

Four days later

When I left Breaks Interstate Park, I headed to the New River Gorge where I got to see the bridge which is 686 ft high from the river (New River) below. People are allowed to base jump from this bridge in October (one day) and I can't believe they do it! I then headed to the Gauley Bridge and stopped on the way at Hawks Nest State park (no camping there) for lunch with a wonderful view of the Gauley river below the restaurant. I was heading to a campground which is along the Gauley River but when I got there I saw only one camper and decided this was not the place for me to stop. I went back east and wound up in Battle Run Recreational Area (on Summersville Lake) and was parked right on the lake. I did move for the second night because I knew it was going to rain and I wanted to be close to the bathroom.
    I left the next morning and headed to the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. This is the place where the radio signals are sent out to the galaxy. Did the free tour and it was fascinating. I then headed up to another National Recreation area (Stuart) and stayed the night in the woods. I thought I had no shower there but it turned out the 'big' bathroom (I was close to an 'outhouse' type of toilet) was just down a short hill from me so I was able to shower before leaving this morning.
    Today was another 'tour' of the West Virginia mountains--and I mean windy,narrow and terrible roads around a mountain that my GPS took me on after I decided against another 'planned' campground. I stopped for lunch (Chinese) in New Martinville, WV and then went across the Ohio river and up to Steubenville where I am in a lovely campground on a babbling creek (out my back window) with no cell phone service but free internet. I am living without TV for almost a week now.
   I will stay here until Tuesday (walk and rest tomorrow) and will figure out where I think I'm going next.
   The bridge photo is when they were building it-the one with it behind me is how it looks now

No comments: