Thursday, July 01, 2010

Working at Frenchwoods

I arrived in Frenchwoods (Performing Arts Festival) last Wednesday and it took many trips to the van to 'move in' my clothes and 'stuff' that I will need to be here for the summer. I have now returned a few things to my Roadtrek and I keep rotating items needed or not needed. I may have to bring in my little heater since we have had a couple of nights below 50 degrees and it would have been nice to heat up the room before my shower in the morning. I am using a down comforter (given to me by my friend Sue) which has definitely kept me from 'freezing' in bed.
    I started work officially on Tuesday and the last two days have been until midnight before being able to get into bed due to the 'set up' needed for dispensing medications because many parents do not follow a suggested way to get their kids pills to camp. And, it is amazing how many meds/vitamins/supplements, etc. that these kids are on (ages 7-17). There are anti depressants, GI and allergy things as well as the 'real' meds for the asthmatics that are given on a daily basis. During 'sick call' which is officially after breakfast and dinner, we get all kinds of complaints and in these beginning days, the 'homesick' happen alot.
      I am tired but the 'routine' should start being better tomorrow. We are given a few hours off each day (I have this evening off) and I will have two days off in the next 19 days and then another session will start. Each three week session is 20 days with a change of doctor and most of the nurses  come for a session because they bring their kids (they do not get paid and do not pay the camp fee for the kids).
      I found a nice level spot to park my van and hopefully will not have a problem using it all summer when I do leave for a few hours on a day off. I am checking her every couple of days and am keeping up the 'maintenance' things necessary although she sure could use a bath!
    When I start taking pictures, I will show you this camp and the activities that are quite unique to a kids summer camp (we do circus, drama, dance, music, horseback,waterfront stuff,arts/crafts including ceramics and jewelry making,sports including skate boarding) . There is not only the lake waterfront but a pool too. The fitness center (for campers and employees) is phenomenal with classes and machines galore. Employees can participate in any of the activities and once I am more rested, I intend to do that although it will not be circus for sure (too hard).
    I just hope the hills I am walking do not hurt my body too much (knees are aching) and just make me fitter and thinner!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,
I found the Blog and looks like you are moving on in a big way. This also looks like it may very much enrich your pursuit of the study on mentoring.
Way to go!
JD

Unknown said...

Hello,
I found the Blog and looks like you are moving on in a big way. This also looks like it may very much enrich your pursuit of the study on mentoring.
Way to go!
JD